- 1 x 850g Dry Aged Tomahawk
- 150g butter
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground black or green pepper
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp good salt (fleur de sel)
- Leave the steak out of the fridge for several hours before cooking to ensure it is at room temperature and no longer cold inside.
- Grind the pepper onto both sides of the steak. Melt 75g of the butter and brush some on each side of the steak. Set the rest aside.
- Place the steak in the oven, preheated at 70*C, and let it cook for 1.5 – 2.5hrs. Determine the exact time by using a meat thermometer. Keep the meet in the oven until the inside of the meat is 5*C below the desired temperature for eating (for medium, 55*C).
- While the steak is in the oven, take 25g of butter and brown the thinly sliced garlic in a frying pan. As the garlic turns brown (this happens quickly after quite a wait) add the thyme and smoked paprika for 1 minute. Combine the mixture in the pan with the remaining 50g of butter and stir into a smooth, flavored butter.
- (Optional: before adding the thyme and paprika, remove some roasted garlic, dry it on a paper towel, then crumble it into the salt for a roast garlic salt).
- Half an hour before the meat is ready, fire up the braai. It’s only for one steak, but it needs to be hot!
- When the meat is ready to come out the oven, brush it with more of the butter used in the beginning and sprinkle a generous amount of salt on each side.
- When the braai has a lot of heat, with bright embers, sear the steak, 90 seconds on each side, brushing it with butter right after searing.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes and then enjoy!