- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled & minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 5kg boneless, skinless pork belly
- Mix salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika together in a small bowl. Measure out all other ingredients and prep garlic and onions. Add onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Whisk together cider vinegar, brown sugar and tomato paste. Add garlic cloves and mix, set aside.
- Rinse pork and pat dry. Trim fat off pork and cut into 4 or 5 pieces. Add spice rub mixture to pork pieces. Add a little bit of oil to the pork pieces and rub in. Add remaining oil to vinegar mixture and whisk. Add pork to the slow cooker on top of the onions and sprinkle any remaining spice rub mixture on top. Pour vinegar mixture on top.
- Cook pork on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Once the pork is finished in the slow cooker, turn the slow cooker off and remove the pork and place on a plate and loosely cover with foil. Allow the pork to rest for 15 to minutes.
- Using a spoon, skim the fat from the juices in the slow cooker. Using two forks, shred or pull the pork. Add the pulled pork back to the slow cooker, mix with tongs and turn the slow cooker on warm. Serve immediately in pita bread with crumbled feta and coriander.