- 4 (550g) Black Angus T-bone steaks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 shallot, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste (optional)
- 1/2 cup seeded and roughly chopped Medjool dates
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, sauté 4 minutes, add tomato paste and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Stir in water, apple cider vinegar, sherry vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard and tamarind; bring to a boil and continue at medium heat for one minute. Reduce heat to low, add dates and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree until smooth with an immersion blender or table top blender. Note: if using a traditional table top blender, remove the filler cap from the lid and cover with a tea towel (this will allow some steam to escape without the lid popping off). Keep sauce warm.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper; grill to desired doneness (suggested 54-57°C internal temperature for medium rare). Rest 5 minutes tented with foil; serve with sauce.